American Triumph

American Triumph

Monday, May 2, 2011

Monday Night Calls for a Light Cab

Today was another gloomy, rainy day in my neck of the woods. Earlier this morning, I thought about buying a sparkling wine as a nice mood lifter. However, once I realized that Mother's Day weekend was right around the corner, I decided to save the bubbly for a special occasion. (It's not like I'll have to wait that long, right?)


In the meantime, a nicely priced bottle of 2007 Kenwood Cabernet Sauvignon caught my eye. Normally available from anywhere between $17.99-$20.99 at my local grocery store, this particular bottle only set me back $13.99. I used to live near the Sonoma Valley and have visited Kenwood Vineyards multiple times for tastings. So, when purchasing this bottle, I knew what I was getting into. 


Kenwood makes a variety of quality wines; their diverse portfolio of wines ranges from the lower-end of-the-market products, like the wine I'm drinking tonight, to their higher-end Reserve, Artist Series, Jack London, and Vintage selections. Based on my experience in their tasting room, Kenwood's more expensive varieties are quite good; their reasonably priced, everyday wines are also worth a sip, however.


The 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon has a light nose, with faint hints of berry and cassis. Swirling the wine really helps open up the bouquet, as does a quick pop in the fridge after corking, to lower the Cab to the optimum temp of 58-60 degrees and let it breathe. Once in the mouth, the wine is thin and lacks in spice or boldness; it tastes of strawberry and plum, with a slightly tart aftertaste. I drank mine with a slice of veggie pizza but it drinks well on its own, too.


Vintage: 2007
Wine Type: Red Wine
Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon
Appellation: California
Alcohol %: 13.5.%



GAW rating: 2/5 (It's a decent everyday Cab when the price is right) 

No comments:

Post a Comment