American Triumph

American Triumph

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Wine Wednesday: 2008 Au Bon Climat Pinot Gris/Pinot Blanc

Typically, I like my uppers in the AM (esp. strong, rich coffee with a shot of milk) and my downers in the PM (esp. wine). During the week I tend not to imbibe until late afternoon (post-3pm) at the earliest, unless I'm out and about wine tasting. As a writer/educator, I really need my brain cells working overtime during the daytime hours.

However, today I decided to indulge over lunch while eating a crisp endive salad with apples and walnuts, and a blue cheese dressing.  I opted for a dry white wine combining the fruit-forward notes of a Pinot Blanc and the light, floral qualities of a Pinot Gris: 2008 Au Bon Climat Pinot Gris/Pinot Blanc (Retails for approx. $16.99; I purchased my bottle at a local wine shop).

Vintage: 2008
Wine Type: White
Varietal: Pinot Blanc/Pinot Grigio
Appellation: California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara
Alcohol %: 13%


The wine is a light, clear straw color in the glass and opens with a nice whiff of fresh green apples, lemon, lavender, and minerals. Once in the mouth, it tastes strongly of crisp apples and grapefruit, with lighter notes of pear, mellon, and ginger and a zingy acidity. Finishes crisp and smooth and pairs extraordinarily well with salad. Fish would be a great accompaniment as well. (Yes, my lunch rocked!)

This is a well-priced white wine that combines the best of several worlds: slightly sweet/tart fruitiness, floral notes, and pop-in-your-mouth acids. I plan to buy another bottle asap since most of the older vintages have all sold out. Check out Au Bon Climat's other wines.


GAW rating: 4 (great taste, great value)

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    Such a good article with useful information. I got good idea about Wine Fridge. I would like to read more similar posts. So kindly keep posting.

    ReplyDelete